Should I let my kid hang out at the park?
You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.
My son wants to go to the local park with some friends, but I know it's the place where a lot of kids go to drink and smoke pot, so I'm kind of worried about him going there. I trust him, but I don't know what to do.
- When will he go and who will he go with?
- Just hanging out in the park sounds like a problem.
- Going for a specific time and purpose with known friends is much safer.
- Checking in person or by cell phone may be advisable.
- Late at night around kids known for bad behavior is risky.
Here are some common questions parents have about how to keep their teen-aged children safe from alcohol and drug use. Click each link to watch a video on each topic with adolescent substance abuse expert Dr. John Knight.