But - I want to be a cool parent.
You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.
I want my kid to think of me as a cool parent but at the same time I've got to talk to them about alcohol and stuff - tell them not to drink, and I'm not sure how to balance that.
- Teenagers don't want "cool" parents who try to be their friends.
- Teenagers take advantage of "cool" parents and lose respect for them.
- To be close with them: listen to them, be there for them.
- Don't intrude into their social life.
- Be a facilitator for healthy activities.
Here are some common questions parents have about how to keep their teen-aged children safe from alcohol and drug use. Click each link to watch a video on each topic with adolescent substance abuse expert Dr. John Knight.